Tuesday 5 April 2016

ADRARA

     I hope that everyone is having a good week so far!!  I've taken a couple of weeks off from sewing/designing...ok lets be real, that's not true..haha I have been designing, a lot.  In fact , I've come up with a whole new line based on Dee's fabric.  It's amazing how an idea can just come out of "nowhere".  I say nowhere in quotations because it does come from somewhere, just sort of not when you are expecting it or trying; it's out of the blue.  Those are the best designs...I get full of excitement and want to do it all right away!  Dee asked me if I had an idea for this particular fabric.  I said Ummm sorta! I have a whole line kind of idea!  People have asked me what my process is.  I don't have one.  Just pay attention to my surroundings and how I feel.  That being said.  Here is a look at our work together for our line we call , "ADRARA".   It took a while for us to come up with a name.  We were jut going to use our names,  Adrienne and Dee or our two last names.  It's tougher than I thought to come up with something that had a good ring to it.  It was actually Dee's father who thought of "ADRARA".  It's a combo of both of our names, perfect!  I also liked it because apparently there is a place in San Marino called "Adrara" and I so happened to be there a few years ago with my hubby.  We absolutely loved Italy.  In fact I'm pretty sure I fell in love and a piece of my heart is still there.  Anyhow, it reminded me of that feeling and I of course liked the name even more.


Our logo was created by Ashley Ketch



     The process for this line was simple...Dee dyed fabric, gave it to me, and I came up with a design.  Our original intention was (because we are creative ppl and get really excited about things and want to do it all right away) to have a line available for purchase.  Things slowed down because I found out I was pregnant and didn't want to be stressed out (Even though I love it with all my heart, It stresses me out at times because I can be a perfectionist).   I had to tell Dee I needed some time to see how things go and what I feel comfortable doing.  Being the awesome person that she is, she totally understood.  I made sure to let her know that she should still "go for it" and she did.  She has been working with lots of designers and photographers.  Each piece of silk that she dyes is even better than the previous...this makes me excited because we have started working together again (Tea Party).  She just dyed some beautiful fabric for my Red Dress and I absolutely love it.  
Back to my story....so, slowing down was a good thing for me because it gave me time to think and discover who I am as a designer and what I want to do.    Sometimes I can get carried away with excitement and move too fast to notice the view around me.  Slowing down has helped me enjoy the scenery and flow of my creativity.  I finally found balance and understanding of who I am as a designer, my design style as well as my ultimate goal.  I want people to look at the pieces and instantly recognize that it was created by moi.   Looking at our work together I can see that I was trying to make things for other people and it didn't necessarily reflect my own designs.  I am more focused then ever to make sure I don't lose the "me" in the design.  Dee speaks with her fabric, I speak with the cut and style that I create with it.  It's pretty cool actually!

That being said....here are some photos of our pieces.   Stay tuned for more :)

This dress started out as a different design...more flowy layers.  However, I ran out of fabric!!! Ahh so I improvised and added a little touch of something I love, lace!
This little number was supposed to be far less...just a simple skirt was what Dee thought it could be.  I however thought, no way, more.  So I needed up getting a cute little sundress out of it, using up every inch of this sweet fabric
For this, I wanted to do something simple and summery.  I, as you  may or may not know, love ruffles and so added another touch of moi to the design.
Two piece outfits have been popular for a while, especially with a little crop top.   Had to have one of these with our own spin on it.  
I have always loved the "Grecian" or "Roman" look.  In college I would always sketch this sort of style.  This is my sister modelling.  It fit her so well.
You can see a little piece of our logo in the back of this one.  It was so cool to see it up on a big screen!
This was one of the first pieces I did with Dee.  It had a mind of it's own.  Was supposed to be a maxi dress...then I started draping and playing around.  You can tell from the photo but I've got a bunch of pleats on the bodice, very abstract.  I wanted it to be like the watercolour abstract art on the fabric.
All the outfits making their way down the runway!
The finale. 


All Photos taken by Kehinde Akinsanya and Whitney Carolan for the NBCCD show "Unearthearted" last year .


I am not taking part in the NBCCD show this year because I'm just too busy with a new baby and working on other projects.  I am however, making a piece for the Red Dress, taking place at the end of this month :)


Fashionably yours,
Adrienne:)

No comments:

Post a Comment