Thursday 28 April 2016

Red Dress Part Three (TBT)

Hello all!  Wow, the Red Dress show is already this weekend.  Soo...in two days.  I can't believe it.  It seems like it was just the show from last year!  I am nearly finished the dress...just a few more stitches here and there and it will be good to go.  I can't wait to see my model dressed up in my design and What On Earth jewelry.  I will take one more look back before the show the weekend to when I made my first jacket :)

This one was a challenging one...one I almost said no to because I was scared.  But, the little voice inside me said, "how will you ever grow as a designer if you don't try?"  I am so glad I listened.  I do however, wish I had paid more attention in tailoring class lol.  Nonetheless, I taught myself using notes from years ago and a trusty book to guide me along.  I also listened to audio books to keep my mind from wandering into the realm of doubt.   Did I mention, the jacket was for Serena Ryder?  So...a little scary bc she would not be available for a fitting...day of only and fingers crossed!

Coming up with a good design was a challenge.  I was working with her personal stylist who of course, wanted her to be dressed a certain way...duh that's her job!  And I wanted the design to still have a touch of moi in it...which in the end, it did.  I also didn't want to go over board with a complicated design because I was also making a dress for Kendra Gale that year....and working full time!! But alas...I tend to want to go above and beyond because otherwise I would not expand my knowledge in the realm of construction and design techniques.  Anyhow, we agreed on a design, all via email, which I would not recommend...in person or over the phone or even face time would have been much easier.  Next, choosing the fabric....ugh, what a pain.  The selection around here is not really that great, especially when you have a material in mind...and then finding a fabric agreed on by both parties...even tougher.  However, after a few back and forth discussions and mailing of swatches, we had chosen one we both liked.   I also ordered some red leather...something I had never worked with before.  I wanted it to feel a little "Rock and Roll", if you will :)

Now, for the Adrienne touch.  Most of my designs are somewhat simple in style and appearance...I like plain fabrics, usually in black and white or both and/or a solid colour.  I therefore like to have fun with the interior of the design.  Fun printed linings!!!  And so I did just that.  The best part was, it paid off; Serena loved the interior touch and expressed it during the show!

Needless to say, it was an amazing experience and I'm so happy to have done it with such a great talent and person.  When she tried on the jacket..on stage, during rehearsal, in front of everyone...yes I was terrified.  Her reaction was "I f*&^ing love it".   Wow!  Did I ever feel good!   Anyhow, she made this designer feel like a trillion bucks for her hard work .  She, like I mentioned, spoke of the design while on stage.  I am somewhat shy...and don't necessarily like the spot light.  So, when she asked me to stand up, I almost didn't lol .   She was wonderful.  I'm so glad I said yes to making her something.  I'm also glad that my parents were both there to see my work on stage.  It meant a lot to me that they see what I love to do.

Here are a few photos of my construction process and detail of the jacket.







The following are photos by Denis Duquette.  I forgot about these and have never posted most of them!    PS I made my outfit too!!!


Her boots were awesome and matched the red on the jacket so well!

I actually didn't know Denis had caught this on camera.  I'm so glad he did.  I also designed and made her a pendant at work (What On Earth).  It was a silver pendant in a mandala style with hearts.  On the reverse it said "Live Love Laugh".  She was touched and told me that was something her mother always said.

This is her telling me about her Mom.

And then I got a hug!  She was awesome to meet.

Now, onto this years Red Dress!!  Ahh, I'm nervous and excited.
Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!!!

Fashionably yours,
Adrienne :)

1 comment:

  1. OMG that jacket is fabulous! :) Love it! You'll have to make something for me if I can afford it! lol What is your estimate for a floor-length wedding dress with beading on the bodice, and lace capped sleeves?

    ReplyDelete