Friday 8 April 2016

FBF Red Dress

     I've been working away on my Red Dress for this year and I think I'm making good progress.  It's about 3/4 finished and the show is at the end of this month.  Every year I try to push myself harder to do and learn more when it comes to design.  I thought I would share my Red Dress looks from past years!  


This was my very first Red Dress show.  My model was Brigitte Clavette, an NBCCD Jewelry/metalsmith instructor.  She was fabulous.  I hadn't really done much sewing in a few years...basically went a little off track but when I did this show, I got right back on my path!  When the email was sent around asking who was interested in taking part I didn't say yes at first.  My response was a "Can I think about it", sort of deal.  My teacher, Ellen, put me down as a designer and I decided it was a sign I should do it.  This dress, although fairly simple in design, was a challenge.  You see, I went from not desigining/sewing/creating to I have a long, lined dress with pockets and sleeves to make!  A lot of revision but totally perfect for refreshing my memory.  Brigitte topped off the look with her own fascinator and an awesome chunky pendant.  It was amazing to watch her walk down the runway!

Second year I was totally back in!  My model was Angélique Reddy Kalala, who ran the local YMCA.  She was about 4 or 5 months pregnant at the time of the show.  I didn't know what to make her since my original design wouldn't have worked for a growing belly.  This dress was inspired by one Halle Berry wore when she was pregnant.  The metal details were crocheted wire my friend Lorna did for me.  It was the perfect accent!  

Third year!  This year I dressed my husbands aunt and CEO of What On Earth Jewellers, Crystal Mulherin.  I knew she would be fun to dress because she has an awesome sense of style.  She's a classy lady with great confidence and personality.  This year I went back to school for one class...my favourite..corsesting.  I then of course had to incorporate this into my design.  The dress is actually a two piece.  The top is a corset with a peplum (I was obsessed with them...and might still be a little bit) and a slightly flare, fitted skirt.  What you can't see is the super fun animal print lining.  A reflection of Crystals style as well as something I like to do with my designs; classy on the outside and fun on the inside. (well, classy is fun too!)



Fourth year!  I had the talented fiddle player, Samantha Robichaud, as my model.  She was so fun to work with and open any sort of design.  This design popped in my head one day and I hoped that she would like it. She loved it.  Usually a designer will sketch several designs and choose one...I didn't..there was just this one.  It felt like "the one" and I went with it.  It turned out perfect, just like I imagined in my mind.  The best part for me was while all the models walked out to selected music, Samantha came out playing her fiddle.  It was amazing!



Fifth year!  This year was a bit tricky for me.  I had originally started with a different model.  Things happened and my model had to drop out....a month before the show!  I wasn't overly panicked because I knew they would find me someone just as awesome, if not amwesomer (Yes I decided it's a word lol).  And they did, Kendra Gale from the Kendra Gale Band stepped in and although not one for wearing fancy dresses, let me dress her in this design.   She was great to work with and has such a great personality and tremendous talent.   And may I add, she looked gorgeous!  



That year I was also asked to make something for the other main event, Serena Ryder.  I made her this custom jacket featuring leather detail.  I had never made a jacket before or worked with leather...I think I did an ok job ;)
Photo by Denis Duquette


Sixth year!  This year I dressed model Athénaïs Testi.  I've worked with her on several occasions. She rocked the runway wearing what I would say is my favourite design thus far.  I probably say that every year!


A back view of the dress.  I have more photos of this dress because my sister was there taking photos.  I love the cut out look.  I feel this dress was a combination of my style and what's in.   It was classy with a twist.
Now I am currently working on my seventh dress for Marilyn Luscombe, president of NBCC.   I had a fitting with her this week and so far, so good!!  The fabric is custom dyed by Dee Wilkie and the colour suits Marilyn so very well.  It's beautiful and I can't wait for everyone to see it!  Actually, I can't wait to see it finished too!


Hope you enjoyed my trip down memory lane.



Fashionably Yours,
Adrienne:) 

















No comments:

Post a Comment