Monday 6 August 2012

Olympic Spirit

   Hey hey! Hope everyone had a great weekend.  Today in NB it's NB day, so Happy NB day!  I'm not sure about everyone else but I am so into the Olympics this year.  It's constantly on in our house...I just leave it on the station and watch whatever is on.  I have to say, there are a few sports I've never even heard of!  Today our ladies went up against the USA in soccer.  I just want to say Bravo! They did so well!!! They may not have won but they were winners to me!  They definitely gave 110%.  It's that part of the Olympics that I love; the spirit.  They put their hearts into that game and that to me is like gold.  How cheesy am I!?!  One of my favourite things I saw this weekend was when Oscar Pistorius, someone I truly admire, ran the 400m semi final.  He made history by being the first double amputee to compete in the Olympics.  His goal was to make the finals for the 400m race.  He did get to the semi's!  The first place qualifier from the semi finals (later Gold medalist in the 400m), Kirani James, went up to him after the race and asked if they could swap numbers (on their shirts).  He was so excited to race him.   That's one of the main reason I like to watch the olympics...for those small moments that represent so much...it's not just  about winning a medal. It's about going out there and trying your best no matter what while respecting and even admiring those there.


Team Canada.  I thought it was kinda neat that their coach is from NewCastle England.  He played for that football team and they also wear red and white!  Let's go team Canada!!!
photo via www.canadasoccer.com


Oscar Pistorius (South Africa) and Kirani James (Grenada) Exchanging their running numbers after the 400 semi-finals.   They even embraced.  Kirani went on to say "Oscar is special.  It's a memorable moment for me to be out there competing with him".  He also said "I just see him as another competitor.  Another athlete.  I really respect him. It is what it is."
photo and info via www.guardian.co.uk

He was born without fibulae in his lower legs.   His nickname is Blade Runner! In 2008 there was controversy over him racing saying his carbon fibre legs could give him an advantage...I guess they never thought of the disadvantages too.   Pistorius said he'd been racing on the same blades for years and his time improves all the time.  I watched him race and he is fast!!  I think he's a pretty awesome person myself:)
photo and info via www.guardian.co.uk
   

No comments:

Post a Comment