Sunday 3 February 2013

Miss you

Hello,
I'm sitting here sipping my coffee and watching Band Of Brothers, one of the most amazing series I have ever watched. It reminds me of a great man. I know, I didn't write an entry for Fashion Friday.  Truth is, this week has been a sad one for our family.  We had to say goodbye to this great man, my Grampy.  I didn't feel right writing on Friday since it was his funeral.  I would however, like to say a few things about him and the great life he led.
He's one of the last of his kind: a veteran of WWII.  Born in 1920, he came from a simpler time, a harder time, a respectd time.  He lost two siblings and his mother before the age of 20.  At the age of 20, he enlisted.  My Grampy, Ray, kept a journal while in the war and we are lucky enough to have it to read of his experience.   He was a wireless operator and radio technician and served in the air command.  You could say he was a pioneer in the first text message (Morse code)!  He also served in an overseas detachment as Sergeant.  When I think about it, I wonder, would we all respond to the call to arms today with a yes and gladly walk into battle (besides those already in the military)? During one of the viewings, members of the Legion came to pay their respect. It was really something to watch as they lined up and one by one saluted him.  Truly touching.   After the war, he was married to his first wife ( Sadly,she passed away in her late 20's) and became a father to his first son.  He also attended University and received  a Bachelor of Commerce degree and later the designation of Certified Management Accountant.    Several years after the death of his first wife, he remarried to the most wonderful, beautiful and exceptional woman I have ever known...my Grammy.  Together they raised five children and had nearly 60 years together.   I've never seen true love like theirs.  They had a beautiful relationship.  My Grammy took care of him and was with him until his dying day.  I only hope to have such an amazing marriage with my husband.  They are my role models and I adore them.  Grampy was a son, brother, uncle, husband, father, grandfather, soldier and all around extraordinary man.   Always looking at the bright side of things and keeping his faith.  Never did I see him frown or scowl, only smile.  I always remember him slipping me some money and saying shhh with a wink and a smile.   My only regret is that we could have been closer as I grew up.  Not that we weren't, I just wish I had taken more time out of my day to spend with him.  I truly respect him, love him and am so proud to have called him, "Grampy".

I know this is a  more somber entry but it's the least I can do to show the world how much he meant to me.   Thankyou Grampy for all the lives you have touched and for just being you.
May you rest in peace until we all meet again under the bridges of Paris. xo.
photo via www.inmemoriam.ca
This website has more info on his long life. There is so much more than what I wrote of.

No comments:

Post a Comment